Every day, we make plans—for our careers, our daily tasks, our social calendar. But have you ever made a plan for aging well? Growing older requires a certain level of mindfulness and preparation, in order to ensure that your goals for your future will be met.
Use this aging checklist as a springboard to plan for the aging experience you want.
When it comes to aging well, what’s the plan?
Here are 10 things you can do to age with dignity and independence.
- Talk to your family about what’s important to you as you age.
- Create an “Aging Journal” that serves as the one resource for all your vital information.
- Make a list of all your medications, and update it as your prescriptions change.
- Give a trusted family member an up-to-date list of all your passwords.
- Do a “home audit” to ensure your living space is safe and comfortable.
- Write down all the people on “Team You” who can assist you as you need it.
- Make a list of the things you need help with, and ask for help if you need it.
- Prepare for the future costs of your own care by reviewing your finances.
- Keep your doctor informed about any changes in your health.
- Find out where you local senior center is—and pay a visit.
Based on a resource from The SCAN Foundation—advancing a coordinated and easily navigated system of high-quality services for older adults that preserve dignity and independence. For more information, visit www.TheSCANFoundation.org.